Flax seed oil is derived from the flax plant, Linum usitatissimum.
One major component of flax seed is the essential Omega-3 fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA.
Why Do You Need Flax Seed Oil?
Omega-3 is essential for regulating the body’s functions, maintaining healthy heart function, immune function, brain function, nervous system function and beautiful skin. A low Omega-3 level reduces cell membrane permeability, causing inefficient transport of oxygen and nutrients to the cells, which consequently leads to degeneration of cells and health problems.
Typical modern diet tends to be very lacking in Omega-3 but very high in Omega-6 fatty acids. While the human body needs only about 2 to 4 times more Omega-6 than Omega-3 fatty acids, the reality is that our daily diet tends to contain about 14 to 25 times more of Omega-6 fatty acids than Omega-3! In other words, our body is very deficient in Omega-3. Health experts believe that this imbalance has impacted the rising rate of inflammatory disorders and other health conditions. This is due to the fact that Omega-6 is pro-inflammatory, while Omega-3 is anti-inflammatory.
To correct this imbalance between Omega-3 and 6, we need to consume more Omega-3 while reducing Omega-6. Because our body cannot make Omega 3, we must obtain it from the food that we eat in our daily diet.
The solution is Flax Seed Oil. It offers the richest source of Omega-3 – double the amount of Omega-3 found in ordinary fish oil.
Regular Intake of Flax Seed Oil May:
- Improve memory
- Boost the immune system
- Reduce inflammation
- Combat fatigue
- Alleviate joint stiffness
- Regulate irregular period
- Relieve premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms
- Regulate bowel movement
- Reduce skin dryness
- Promote healthy and lustrous hair
- Strengthen brittle nails
Who Should Take Flax Seed Oil?
Flax Seed Oil is recommended for everyone in the family, and is particularly important for:
- Growing children. Adding flax seed oil to your child’s diet can help strengthen and develop his/her immune system. Also, flax seed oil helps promote and regulate overall good brain health. It is one of the best brain foods out there!
- The not-so-young. Flax seed oil contains Omega-3 that is anti- inflammatory, thus playing an important role in the prevention and treatment of age-related diseases.
- Pregnant and lactating mothers. Flax seed oil taken during pregnancy might help brain development in the foetus. Foetuses who do not get enough Omega-3 during development are more likely to have a low birth weight and small head circumference at birth, and the placenta is likely to be smaller while in the womb, according to The Franklin Institute.
Fatty acids are essential for breast milk production. Women with low fatty acids, whose milk supply is impacted, may see an increase in supply with regular use of flax seed oil. Flax seed oil helps promote brain and eye development. It also contains many essential micronutrients to develop bone, muscle, and heart health in a growing infant. A pregnant or lactating mother can only supply Omega-3 to her developing foetus or baby if she consumes it in her diet.
Golden Flax Seeds vs Brown Flax Seeds
There is not much difference between the raw carbohydrate, protein and fat content of golden flax seeds versus brown flax seeds. However, what is different is the ratio of the different types of fat that you can find in golden flax seeds versus brown flax seeds.
Golden flax seeds have more polyunsaturated fatty acids and less monounsaturated fatty acids compared to brown flax seeds. They also have larger amounts of the two essential fats that your body isn’t able to produce: alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and linoleic acid.
Notably, these two essential fats are also present in different ratios compared to brown flax seeds. There is more ALA in golden flax seeds compared to linoleic acid. Because most people consume too much Omega-6, rich in linoleic acid, and not enough Omega-3, rich in ALA, golden flax seeds are definitely the healthier choice if you’re trying to supplement your diet with healthy fats.
There is also a slight difference when it comes to the taste. Brown flax seeds have a stronger taste whereas golden flax seeds are milder.
NewLife™ Omega Gold Flax Seed Oil
- Cold-pressed from quality, certified organic golden flax seeds.
- Cold-pressed in the absence of light, air and reactive metals to produce quality tasty oil.
- Packaged in recyclable, BPA-free, black HDPE plastic under an inert gas blanket to further protect it against light and oxygen.
- We pack our Omega Gold Flax Seed Oil with dry ice and ship them by air. Upon reaching our stores, they are immediately refrigerated.
Why? Delicate oils such as flax seed oil contain high levels of alpha-linolenic acid (Omega-3). The high number of double bonds causes this oil to oxidize easily leading to rancidity if exposed to heat or light. Cooler temperatures slow this oxidation process and prolong shelf life.
- Pure, unrefined, unfiltered, extra virgin, certified organic.
- Gluten-free, so it can be enjoyed by those that suffer from gluten intolerance or Coeliac Disease.
- Sourced from the land you can be confident in for superior quality – New Zealand.